The ADRENA dongle!
It is on board of all the IMOCA entering the Vendee Globe and it is continuously used by all those confirmed sailors.
What is so essential for a round the world race in those 6g ?
Those 6g of technology are full of functions useful for :
- Safety thanks to the Alarms, the Roadbook and the AIS
The alarms warn of any modification of the data read through the instruments and the GPS or calculated by the software. When they are activated, they emit a visual and audio signal.An indispensable feature for offshore racing, they help keep the solo sailor safe while resting.There are 5 pre-set alarms, 2 of whom liked to safety : AIS, arrival on coast and hazardous area (set in the roabooks).
Thanks to the roadbooks, the sailor can point and put notes on particular areas on the chart (ice gates, search and rescue zones…).
- Strategy with the competitors monitoring
This function enables to follow and analyse the competitors strategy: reception of the positions, information about the competitor (speed, heading…). It is also possible to launch routing calculation on one or several competitors.
- Tactic thanks to the powerful routing Adrena
True route prediction tool according to the boat’s speed polar and the weather forecast, it calculates the fastest route and offers incomparable tools to analyse the strategy. It is possible to analyse in-depth and to optimise the routes thanks to the tools offered: variable scanning, inverse isochrones, isoroutes…
- Performance with Optima
This software is able to give the navigator data to follow and estimate their performance (% of target speed…).
- Organisation with the Sailect
Thanks to the Sailect, the skippers can anticipate a sail change. The routing table of legs include the Sailect and indicate the set of sail to wear, it enable to adjust the work planning for the next 24/48 hours.
With only extra 6g on board, the Vendee Globe skippers are equipped with a complete and powerful navigation software including many functions useful everyday.
The Vendee Globe, it is a one handed around the world race, with no assistance and no stop.
The event :
- Created in 1989, 7th edition
- Departure on novembre 10th at 13h02 from Les Sables d’Olonne
- Record to beat 84d 03h 09’ (12,30 knots in mean)
The set :
- 20 skippers engaged whom 1 woman (Sam Davies)
- 6 countries represented: Spain, France, Italy, Poland, Great Britain, Switzerland
- Le youngest : Louis Burton (27 years)
- Le oldest : Dominique Wavre (57 years)
- Average age : 43 years
- 25 participations at Vendee Globe for all of them
- 5 freshers
The route :
- Les Sables d’Olonne – Les Sables d’Olonne from west to east
- Length : 24 048 milles
- 3 capes to cross : Good hope, Leeuwin and Horn
- 3 oceans to cross : Atlantic, Indian et Pacific